Added to 114 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 34248 times
A calzone is like a folded over stuffed pizza. The circle of pizza dough is folded in half over the filling and then sealed. During baking, the pizza dough swells somewhat until it resembles a "stuffed stocking", the literal translation of word calzone. Sautéed vegetables and cheese aromatized with herbs is the filling for this calzone. You can vary the vegetable combination if you like. For a change, try frying the calzone until golden brown in hot oil. You will find that it is easier to handle the calzone during frying when it has been formed into appetiser sized calzonetti (or smaller calzones). Calzone can stand alone as a substantial snack or combined with a green salad and soup, it makes an easy dinner.
- Heat the butter in a saucepan and sauté the onion and garlic for a minute.
- Add the mushrooms and red pepper and sauté for some more time.
- Sprinkle the flour and add the milk, cheese, oregano and salt and mix well. Bring it to a boil.
- Divide the mixture into 4 portions. Allow it to cool. Keep aside.
- Divide the pizza dough into 4 equal portions. Keep aside under a wet cloth.
- Roll out each portion of the dough into a 150 mm. (6") diameter circle.
- Put one portion of the filling on each circle.
- Fold each circle to form a semicircle.
- Seal the ends using a little water and press the edges firmly with the help of a fork.
- Place on a greased baking tray. Cover with a wet cloth and keep for 10 minutes or until it doubles in volume.
- Bake in a pre-heated oven at 200°c (400°f) for about 15 minutes or until they are evenly browned.
- Remove from the oven and brush with melted butter.
- Serve hot.
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.