Burmese Khow Suey
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 231 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 214480 times
A vegetarian version of the traditional burmese dish. It is essentially a one-dish meal comprising of noodles in a soup of curried vegetables in coconut milk, served with a variety of contrasting accompaniments. Each of your guests can individually mix the rich array of accompaniments to create their own original taste sensation. The ingredients that make the difference are fried garlic, coriander, lemon juice, fried onions and chillies.
- To cook the rice noodles follow the instructions on the packet, or immerse them in plenty of hot water for 10 minutes till they soften. Drain and place in a bowl of cold water till required. When you wish to serve, immerse them in hot water again and
- Heat 1 teaspoon of oil and sauté the onions, garlic, ginger, lemon grass, turmeric, coriander and cumin powder till the onions are soft.
- Cool, add the besan and blend it to make a paste.
- Sauté the paste in the remaining 1 teaspoon of oil and season with salt and sugar.
- Add the coconut milk and vegetables and simmer till the vegetables are tender, adding a little water if required.
- Take it off the heat and add lemon juice.
- Pour it over cooked rice noodles and serve with the toppings.
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.