Bulgur Wheat and Vegetable Khichdi ( Baby and Toddler)
by Tarla Dalal
5/5 stars 100% LIKED IT
Added to 128 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 59542 times
Khichdi is a complete and wholesome meal in itself, especially when served with curds. The Bulgur Wheat and Vegetable Khichdi is a good way to incorporate two food groups in one dish, namely cereals and vegetables.
At this stage, babies are capable of chewing their food, and so it is important to introduce chopped vegetables in the diet, rather than simply mashed foods.
Spinach and bulgur wheat give iron, while tomatoes and spinach give vitamin A to improve your child’s vision. Now, that’s what makes this a double hit – in taste and benefits too!
- Heat the ghee in a pressure cooker and add the cumin seeds.
- When the seeds crackle, add the asafoetida, turmeric powder, broken wheat, rice and all the vegetables and sauté on a medium flame for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add approx. ¾ cup of water, salt and pepper, mix well and pressure cook for 3 whistles.
- Allow the steam to escape before opening the lid.
- Serve lukewarm with fresh curds.
- Broken wheat is also known as bulgur wheat.
Nutrient values for ¾ cup
|Energy|| 126 kcal|
|Protein|| 3.6 gm|
|Carbohydrate|| 21.8 gm|
|Fat|| 3.0 gm|
|Fibre|| 2.4 gm|
|Vitamin A|| 881.4 mcg|
|Calcium|| 24.2 mg|
|Iron|| 1.2 mg|
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.