Bulgur Wheat and Matki Pulao
by Tarla Dalal
5/5 stars 100% LIKED IT
Added to 68 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 25124 times
This sumptuous and simple dish is enlivened with the addition of vegetables and sprouts. Sprouting not only enhances the nutritive value of foods but also makes them easier to digest. It is really easy to make sprouts at home - simply soak the matki in water for 6 to 8 hours and then wrap them in a damp muslin cloth for 2 to 3 days taking care to keep the muslin damp at all times. Bulghur wheat is available at most traditional banias, not at our larger grocery stores. Ask your neighbourhood bania to get you some as it's a good substitute for rice. Serve with low fat curds or kala jamun raita.
- Heat the oil in a non-stick pan and add the cumin seeds.
- When they crackle, add the asafoetida, cloves and bay leaf and stir for a few seconds.
- Add the onions, carrots and french beans and sauté them for 4 to 5 minutes.
- Add the bulgur wheat or kodri and matki sprouts along with the turmeric powder, chilli powder and coriander powder and salt and mix well.
- Add approx. 2½ cups of water, cover and cook over a medium flame till the varagu and matki are cooked.
- Serve hot with low fat curds or jamun raita.
Nutrient values per serving
|Amt|| 54 gm|
|Energy|| 110 kcal|
|Protein|| 3.5 gm|
|Cho|| 20.3 gm|
|Fat|| 1.7 gm|
|Vit-A|| 160.7 mcg|
|Vit-C|| 4.3 mg|
|Calcium|| 36.2 mg|
|Iron|| 1.7 mg|
|F.Acid|| 7.2 mcg|
|Fibre|| 2.0 gm|
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.