Buckwheat, Moong and Vegetable Khichdi
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 108 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 30988 times
Khichdi is light for the stomach, yet filling and nourishing. They often say soup is good for the soul, but I would say, "Khichdi is good for my soul". The aroma of this khichdi is irresistible, as it has been cooked with the aromatic spices. Buckwheat is commonly called as kutto or kutti no daro. This recipe is a variation of traditional khichdi in which rice is replaced with buckwheat due to its low glycemic index and high fibre content. Serve it with chilled Low Fat Curds, or Karela Kadhi, to make a satisfying meal.
- Clean and wash the moong dal and buckwheat together. Drain and keep aside.
- Heat the oil in a pressure cooker, add the peppercorns, cloves and cumin seeds.
- Once the cumin seeds crackle, add the asafoetida, moong dal, buckwheat and mixed vegetables and sauté on a medium flame for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add the turmeric powder, green chilli paste, salt and approx. 4 cups of water, mix well and pressure cook for 3 whistles.
- Serve hot with karela kadhi or low-fat curds
Nutrient values per serving
| 173 calories|| 7.3 gm|| 31.9 gm|| 1.9 gm|| 6.1 mg|| 4.5 gm|
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.