Brown Bread, Whole Wheat Bread Loaf
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 107 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 15755 times
You will love to eat these nourishing rolls which are very easy to make.
- Combine the yeast, sugar and ¼ cup of warm water in a bowl, cover it with a lid and keep aside for 10 minutes.
- Combine the whole wheat flour, salt and yeast-sugar mixture in a deep bowl, mix well and knead into a soft dough using enough warm water.
- Add the olive oil and knead very well till the dough is smooth.
- Shape the dough into a proper round using both your hands while tucking the edges at the bottom.
- Cover it with a dry muslin cloth and keep aside in a warm place for 45 minutes or till the dough is double in size.
- Sprinkle the whole wheat flour over a smooth, flat surface, place the dough over it and knead it very well using both your hands. If the dough is getting sticky while kneading, then sprinkle little whole wheat flour as required.
- Tap the dough with your fingers and spread it to make a 250mm. X 200 mm. (10” x 8”) diameter oval shape.
- Roll the dough to make a 200 mm. (8”) long cylindrical roll and place it in a greased bread loaf tin. Cover it with a dry muslin cloth and again keep aside in a warm place for 30 minutes.
- Bake it in a pre-heated oven at 200°c (400°f) for 10 minutes.
- Lower the temperature to 180°c (360°f) and bake it for 30 minutes.
- Brush the bread loaf with butter and keep aside to cool slightly.
- Once the bread loaf is slightly cooled, de-mould it and keep aside to cool completely.
- Once the bread loaf has cooled completely, cut it into 13 mm. ( ½“) bread slices.
- Serve or use as required.
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.