Broken Wheat Upma ( Healthy Breakfast Recipe)
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 562 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 206461 times
Broken Wheat Upma, as the name suggests is a nutrient-rich wheat based upma. While the broken wheat brings in loads of dietary fibre and energy, carrot and green peas bring along a wealth of nutrients, especially vitamin A. The veggies also add crunch to an otherwise soft upma. You may also add other veggies of your choice to make it more colourful and tasty.
- Clean and wash the broken wheat thoroughly. Par-boil the broken wheat in 2 cups of hot water for 3 to 4 minutes. Drain and keep aside.
- Heat the oil in a pressure cooker, and add the mustard seeds.
- When the seeds crackle, add the green chillies and sauté on a medium flame for a few seconds.
- Add the onions and ginger, mix well and sauté on a medium flame for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add the green peas and carrots, mix well and sauté on a medium flame for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add the broken wheat, salt and 1¼ cups of water, mix well and pressure cook for 2 whistles.
- Allow the steam to escape before opening the lid.
- Garnish with coriander and keep aside to cool slightly.
- Pack in an air-tight box.
Nutrient values per serving
|Carbohydrate|| 18.0 gm|
|Energy|| 107 cal.|
|Fat|| 2.8 gm.|
|Protein|| 2.4 gm|
|Vitamin A|| 199.7 mcg|
|Fibre|| 1.4 gm|
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.