Bread Kofta Biryani
by Tarla Dalal
4/5 stars 80% LIKED IT
4 GOOD - 1 BAD
Added to 187 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 31244 times
Rice cooked with whole spices on a bed of tangy-tomato gravy, topped with scrumptious bread koftas. Doesn’t that sound like a super special main course? Well, it is. The Bread Kofta Biryani is a choice that tops the chart with people of all age groups. Interestingly, this flavourful biryani does not require baking. You can prepare the gravy and rice earlier on, heat them before serving, and arrange them with the koftas on a serving bowl, as described in the recipe. This dish is kind of self sufficient in flavours and on a busy day you can just serve it with raita, but it gets all the more special when it is a part of a complete dinner menu that starts with Phudina Lassi and Hare Bhare Kebab followed by Quick Vegetable Korma , Kofta Biryani and Kale Angoor ka Raita and ends with Seb ki Jalebi .
- Combine all the ingredients except the oil with approx. 2 tsp of water in a bowl and mash very well.
- Divide the mixture in 20 portions and shape each portion into a round ball.
- Heat a kadhai, deep-fry the bread koftas a few at a time, till they turn golden brown in colour from all the sides.
- Drain on absorbent paper. Keep aside.
- Heat 2 cups of water in a deep pan, add the rice, bayleaf, cinnamon, cardamoms, cloves and salt and cook on a medium flame for 8 to 10 minutes or till the rice is cooked. Keep aside.
- Heat the oil in a non-stick pan and add the cloves and cinnamon and sauté on a medium flame for a few seconds.
- Add the onions and sauté till they turn translucent.
- Add the ginger-garlic paste, chilli powder, coriander-cumin seed powder and turmeric powder and 1 tbsp of water, mix well and cook for 1 minute.
- Add the tomatoes and salt and cook on a medium flame for 2 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Remove from the flame add the curds and mix well.
- Add the green peas and mix well. Keep aside.
- Heat the gravy and the rice separately.
- Arrange the gravy at the bottom of a serving bowl.
- Top with the bread koftas and cover with the cooked rice.
- Top with the curds mixture.
- Serve immediately.
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.