Black Forest Gateau ( Cakes and Pastries)
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 81 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 50005 times
A classic dessert of chocolate sponge cake layered with cream and cherries.
- Place the chocolate cake on a turntable and slice it horizontally into 3 equal parts. Keep aside.
- Combine the sugar syrup and cherry liquor in a bowl to make the soaking syrup and keep aside.
- Soak the bottom layer of the chocolate cake with 1/3 of the soaking syrup.
- Spread ½ cup of cream on the soaked layer of the cake.
- Put ½ the cherries on top and sandwich with the second layer of the chocolate cake.
- Repeat the steps 3-5 to make 1 more layer on top.
- Soak the topmost layer of the chocolate cake with the remaining soaking syrup.
- Spread the remaining cream evenly on top and at the sides of the cake
- Transfer the cake onto a cake board and refrigerate for 20 minutes to set.
- Refrigerate the dark chocolate slab for about an hour. Remove and scrape lengthwise using the pairing knife to get chocolate shavings. You will need approx. ½ cup of chocolate shavings.
- Transfer the shavings onto a butter paper. Hold the cake in your left hand and with your right hand gently press the chocolate shavings onto the sides of the cake.
- Place a 100 mm. (4”) bowl in the centre of the cake.
- Sprinkle more chocolate shavings along the sides of the bowl
- Remove the bowl carefully so you get a clean round white circle in the centre of the cake.
- Fill the plastic disposable piping bag fitted with a big star nozzle with the whipped cream. Hold the piping bag in your hand and move your wrist anti-clockwise while applying gentle pressure to make a swirl.
- Finish the circle and gently lift it in a single motion to form a peak.
- Make 6 such swirls on the top white portion of the cake and place a cherry on each swirl. Cut into 6 equal wedges and serve.
- A dome shaped aluminium mould like the one shown above may also be used instead of the 4” diameter bowl.
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.