Bisi Bele Bhaat ( Pressure Cooker )
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 46 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 193463 times
Bisi bele bhaat, a traditional spicy rice dish from karnataka is quite addictive – served piping hot topped with lots of ghee and accompanied by fried papads and a cool raita, it is almost impossible to say no to! victims of this lightning-fast age need not miss out on this delicacy; considering it can be made in a jiffy.
- Heat the oil in a pan, add all the ingredients and sauté on a slow flame for 4 to 5 minutes or till they turn golden brown in colour. Keep aside to cool.
- Blend in a mixer to a fine paste and keep aside.
- Heat the oil in a pressure cooker, add all the vegetables, curry leaves, rice, toovar dal and turmeric powder, mix gently and sauté on a medium flame for 2 minutes.
- Add the tamarind, salt, prepared paste and 4 cups of hot water, mix gently and pressure cook on a high flame for 4 whistles.
- Lower the flame and pressure cook for another 2 whistles.
- Allow the steam to escape using natural release method,(refer handy tip) before opening the lid.
- Add the ghee, mix well and serve immediately.
- Natural release method: to use this method, remove the pressure cooker from the hot burner and let the pressure drop by cooling down naturally. It works best for grains and for beans that you might use for salads, as quick-releasing the pressure can cause the beans to split apart.
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.