Bhatia Kadhi ( Gujarati Recipe)
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 155 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 46850 times
As the name suggests, this kadhi recipe hails from the bhatia community. It is a sweet and sour version made with cooked toovar dal water, curds and vegetables. This interesting combination of ingredients makes all the difference—be it in terms of taste or aroma. You can even add sliced potatoes to this recipe.
- Combine the toovar dal and add 5 cups of water in a pressure cooker and pressure cook for 2 whistles.
- Allow the steam to escape before opening the lid.
- Cool slightly, strain the dal and keep the water aside. For this recipe we will require the water only.
- Combine the curds and besan in a bowl and whisk well. Keep aside.
- Heat the oil in a deep non-stick pan and add the cumin seeds, mustard seeds, asafoetida and fenugreek seeds.
- When the mustard seeds crackle, add the ladies finger, radish, drumsticks and the strained dal water and mix well. Cover with ta lid and cook on a slow flame for 8 to 10 minutes or till all the vegetables are cooked, while stirring occasionally.
- Add the kokum, jaggery, prepared curds-besan mixture and salt, mix well and cook on a slow flame for 4 to 5 minutes, while stirring continuously.
- Add the bananas, mix well and cook on a slow flame for another 2 minutes.
- Serve hot garnished with coriander.
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.