Bharwan Baingan, Helathy Bharwan Baingan, Stuffed Brinjal Recipe
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 353 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 235552 times
Brinjals are delicate in flavour and absorb other flavours very well. In this recipe, I have used onions and potatoes to fill them along with a host of complimentary spices that enhance the taste of brinjals. The filling mixture of these brinjals abound in vitamin C and iron. Serve this vegetable with hot phulkas .
- Heat the oil in a non-stick pan and add the cumin seeds and asafoetida.
- When the seeds crackle, add the onion and sauté for 4 to 5 minutes till it turns golden brown in colour.
- Add the potato, turmeric powder, chilli powder and gram flour and sauté for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add the tamarind pulp, jaggery, coriander, chana dal, salt and ½ cup of water and simmer till the mixture nearly dries up.
- Remove the stems of the brinjals and make criss-cross slits on the brinjals, taking care not to separate the segments. Stuff the slits with the prepared masala mixture. About half the mixture will remain.
- Combine the stuffed brinjals, the remaining masala mixture, salt and ¾ cup of water and pressure cook for 2 whistles.
- Serve hot, garnished with the coriander.
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.