Bharvan Baingan Khichdi
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 29 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 32053 times
An interesting way to serve brinjal and khichadi! 'Bharvan' means stuffed, brinjal are stuffed with a spicy mixture of besan, coconut and spices. It not only adds spice to the otherwise bland khichadi but also perks up the flavour of the dish. Although slightly higher in calories a small portion of this along with a bowl curds is just enough to satiate you for dinner.
- Clean, wash and dry the brinjals. Make criss-cross slits on each, taking care not to separate the segments. Keep aside.
- Heat a broad non-stick pan on a medium flame, add the onions, coconut and peanuts, mix well and dry roast on a medium flame for 5 minutes or till they turn light brown in colour. Sprinkle little water if the mixture starts burning.
- Add the coriander seeds, cumin seeds and sesame seeds, mix well and dry roast on a medium flame for about 30 seconds.
- Add the garlic, tamarind pulp, chilli powder, garam masala, jaggery, tomato pulp and salt, mix well and cook on a slow flame for 5 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Remove from the flame, add the coriander and mix well. Allow the mixture to cool completely.
- Blend the mixture in a mixer till smooth using a little water if required and keep aside.
- Stuff the paste in the slits of each brinjal and keep aside.
- Heat a pressure cooker and arrange the stuffed brinjals at the bottom, add ¼ cup water and the remaining paste over the brinjals. Pressure cook for 2 whistles.
- Allow the steam to escape before opening the lid. Remove the brinjals and keep aside.
- Clean, wash and soak the brown rice and yellow dal for 15 minutes. Drain and keep aside.
- Put 3 cups of water to boil in a non-stick pan.
- Combine all the ingredients together along with the hot water in a pressure cooker, mix well and pressure cook for 3 whistles.
- Allow the steam to escape before opening the lid. Keep aside.
- Divide the bharvan baingan into 2 equal portions and divide the khichdi into 3 equal portions and keep aside.
- Put the milk at the bottom of a glass baking tray, spread of one portion of the khichdi in an even layer over it.
- Spread one portion of bharvan baingan over the khichdi layer.
- Repeat with second portion of khichdi, remaining bharvan baingan and the third portion the khichdi to make 3 more layers.
- Cover with an aluminium foil and bake in a pre-heated oven at 200°c (400°f) for 10 minutes or microwave for 2 minutes.
- Serve hot garnished with coriander.
- Ensure you do not use aluminium foil while microwaving, as it may be cause a spark.
Nutrient values per serving
|Energy|| 271 kcal|
|Prtoein|| 7.5 gm|
|Carbohydrates|| 48.4 gm|
|Invisible FaT|| 4.1 gm|
|Calcium|| 62.4 mg|
|Iron|| 1.7 mg|
|Fibre|| 3.4 mg|
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.