by Tarla Dalal
Added to 318 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 95519 times
Small brinjals stuffed with a sweet and spicy, peanut flavoured mixture drawing out all the authentic flavours of Maharashtrian cooking. The brinjals have to be cooked over a slow flame with utmost care in order to preserve the natural flavours of this dish.
- Wash and dry the brinjals.
- Slit each brinjal, once through and then again at a right angle to make 4 equal parts without separating them from the stem. Retain a small part of the stem.
- Soak the brinjals in a bowl of salted water for 10 to 15 minutes. Then pat them dry and keep aside.
- Dry roast all the ingredients over a slow flame and grind to a paste with ¼ cup of water.
- Mix together the onions, red chilli powder, tamarind pulp, turmeric powder, crushed peanuts, jaggery, salt and the ground paste.
- Stuff this mixture in the brinjals and keep aside.
- Heat the oil in a pan and place the stuffed brinjals one by one. Add ¼ cup of water, cover and cook over a slow flame till the brinjals are tender.
- Serve hot.
Nutrient values per serving
|Vitamin A||103.3 mcg|
|Vitamin B1||0.1 mg|
|Vitamin B2||0.1 mg|
|Vitamin B3||2.3 mg|
|Vitamin C||17.8 mg|
|Folic Acid||39.9 mcg|
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.