Bhakhri Pizza ( Gluten Free Recipe)
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 15 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 16285 times
Iron-rich jowar and bajra flours replace maida in these healthy pizza bases, which are then topped with a traditional tomato-based sauce. Let your kids help to assemble the bhakri pizzas to add to their enjoyment.
- Combine all the ingredients in a deep bowl, mix well and knead into a firm dough using enough water.
- Cover with a lid and keep aside for 10 minutes.
- Heat the olive oil in a broad non-stick pan, add the garlic and sauté on a medium flame for 30 seconds.
- Add the onions and sauté on a medium flame for another 1 to 2 minutes or till they turn translucent.
- Add the spring onion greens, mix well and sauté on a medium flame for a few more seconds.
- Add the blanched tomatoes, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 2 to 3 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Add the sugar and tomato ketchup, mix well and cook on a medium flame for another 1 to 2 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Add the oregano, chilli flakes and salt, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 1 more minute, while stirring occasionally.
- Remove from the flame and keep aside.
- Divide the dough into 6 equal portions.
- Roll out a portion between the palms of your hands into a 75 mm. (3") diameter circle.
- Heat a non-stick tava (griddle) and cook it on a slow flame till pink spots appear on both the sides.
- Continue cooking the bhakhri on a slow flame, while pressing with a khakhra press or folded muslin cloth till it turns crisp and golden brown in colour from both the sides.
- While on the tava (griddle), spread 2 tbsp of the pizza sauce and top with 1 tbsp of cheese evenly over it. Cover it with a lid and cook on a slow flame for 2 more minutes.
- Repeat steps 2 to 5 to make 5 more bhakhri pizzas.
- Cool slightly and serve immediately.
- 3 large tomatoes after blanching will yield approx. ¾ cup blanched, peeled, deseeded and finely chopped tomatoes.
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.