Basic Dum Aloo Gravy, Punjabi Restaurant Style Dum Aloo Recipe
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 169 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 123693 times
Dum Aloo gets its characteristic flavour and texture from the intensely-flavoured gravy that the potatoes are cooked in.
The gravy gets its deep flavour and luscious texture from a paste of onions and spices, cooked along with tomato pulp and fresh cream.
You can make a batch of Basic Dum Aloo Gravy using this recipe, and use it immediately, or deep-freeze it to whip up your favourite dishes in minutes when you wish to.
- Combine the tomatoes and 1½ cups of water in a broad non- stick pan, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 12 minutes. Cool slightly.
- Blend in a mixer along with the water till smooth and strain using a strainer. Keep aside.
- Heat the oil in a non-stick kadhai, add the prepared paste and sauté on a medium flame for 3 minutes, while stirring continuously.
- Add the cloves, cinnamon and cardamom and sauté on a medium flame for 1 minutes.
- Add the fresh tomato pulp, fresh cream, salt and sugar, mix well and cook for another 2 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Use as required.
- Use this gravy on the same day to make recipes of your choice. If you wish to store it in the deep-freezer for a few weeks, avoid adding fresh cream as the gravy may get spoilt on storing. Pour in food-grade zip lock bags or airtight containers and store under refrigerated conditions.
- While making the subzi using the stored gravy, thaw and use it as per the recipe. Towards the end, add the fresh cream, mix well and simmer for 2 to 3 minutes.
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.