by Tarla Dalal
5/5 stars 100% LIKED IT
Added to 75 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 55691 times
Idli… the first dish that comes to our mind when we think of south india! i have modified this traditional snack to make it healthier by adding barley. Chopped vegetables add flavour, colour and more nutrition to this dish. Serve hot with sambhar.
- Wash and soak the rice, urad dal and fenugreek seeds in lukewarm water for 2 to 3 hours. Drain and keep aside.
- Wash and soak the barley separately in lukewarm water for 2 to 3 hours. Drain and keep 1 tbsp barley aside.
- Drain the rice, urad dal and fenugreek seeds and grind along with the remaining barley in a mixer to a smooth paste.
- Cover and keep aside for 3 to 4 hours to ferment.
- Add the salt and mix gently.
- Apply a little water on the idli moulds and put spoonfuls of the batter into them.
- Sprinkle a little barley and 2 tsp of vegetables over each idli and steam in a steamer for 20 minutes.
- Unmould the idlis when slightly cool and serve immediately.
Nutrient values per serving
|Energy|| 57 cal.|
|Protein|| 1.9 gm|
|Carbohydrate|| 12.0 gm|
|Invisible fat|| 0.1 gm|
|Fibre|| 0.2 gm|
|Folic Acid|| 7.0 mcg|
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.