Banana Uttapa, Banana Uttapam
by Tarla Dalal
5/5 stars 100% LIKED IT
Added to 187 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 59057 times
Spongy and succulent uttapas, with the pleasant flavour and mild sweetness of bananas! This is a delicious snack that will be loved by all, especially kids.
Like most uttapas, this one also uses a batter of rice and urad dal. But, after fermentation, the batter is fortified with mashed bananas, which not only add flavour to the uttapas but also make them softer.
- Soak the rice, urad dal and fenugreek seeds in enough water in a deep bowl for 3 hours. Drain well.
- Blend in a mixer to smooth paste using approx. ¾ cup of water.
- Transfer the mixture into a deep bowl and keep aside. Add the salt and mix well.
- Cover with a lid and ferment in a warm place for 10 to 12 hours.
- Once the batter is fermented, add the bananas and sugar and mix well.
- Heat a non-stick tava (griddle), sprinkle a little water on the tava (griddle) and wipe it off gently using a cloth.
- Pour a ladleful of the batter on the tava (griddle), spread in a circular motion to make a 125 mm. (5") thick uttapa and cook on a medium flame for 2 minutes.
- Smear little ghee evenly all over, sprinkle 1 tsp of coconut and cook on a medium flame for 2 minutes.
- Turn over and cook on the other side till it turns light brown in colour.
- Repeat steps 7 to 10 to make 7 more uttapas.
- Serve immediately.
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.