by Tarla Dalal
Added to 99 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 105005 times
The popular Mussalam gravy is not only easy to prepare but also tastes great. It is a combination of basic spices and fried brinjal pieces. This red gravy can be combined with any vegetable of your choice. If you do not have fresh tomato purée, you can use a smaller quantity of canned purée that has been diluted with water.
- Peel and cut the brinjal into 50 mm. (2") pieces.
- Heat the oil in a kadhai and deep-fry the brinjal pieces over a medium flame till they are golden brown. Drain on absorbent paper and keep aside.
- Heat the ghee in a kadhai and add the cumin seeds.
- When they crackle, add the onions and sauté till they are golden brown.
- Add the ginger-garlic paste, chilli powder, coriander powder, turmeric powder and 1 cup of water and simmer for 4 to 5 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes and cook till the oil separates from the gravy.
- Add the tomato purée, brinjal, sugar and salt and allow it to simmer for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Remove from the flame and gently mix in the cream.
- Serve hot garnished with coriander.
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.