by Tarla Dalal
5/5 stars 100% LIKED IT
Added to 76 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 119135 times
Punjabi food incorporates very innovative cooking methods, be it the use of the tandoor or the concept of cooking vegetables directly over the flame thus endowing the vegetable with a great smoky flavour. The Punjabi Baingan Bharta has many fans all over the world. Baingan or brinjal cooked directly over the flame till the skin is charred and can be peeled off combined with a fine blend of spices and some ghee makes up this brilliant creation. While selecting the brinjal for this recipe be sure to choose one's that are large with a shiny smooth surface as these are likely to have a lower number of seeds. All in all this scrumptious dish is worth all the time and mess it may create!!
- Grease the brinjal with oil and roast it over an open flame till it is cooked.
- Cool and peel the skin. Mash the pulp thoroughly and keep aside.
- Heat the ghee in a pan and add the cumin seeds.
- When they crackle add the onions and sauté till they turn golden brown.
- Add the ginger, garlic and green chillies and sauté for a few more seconds.
- Add the tomatoes, turmeric powder, coriander-cumin seeds powder and cook till the mixture leaves oil.
- Add the mashed brinjal, Punjabi garam masala and salt, mix well and cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Serve hot garnished with coriander.
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.