Baingan Bharta ( Swadisht Subzian Recipe)
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 443 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 202939 times
Roasted, peeled and mashed, the brinjals transform into an aromatic ingredient perfect to create this traditional Punjabi subzi. Cooked along with tangy tomatoes and pungent ingredients like onions, ginger and green chillies, Baingan Bharta is an accompaniment that goes equally well with rotis and rice, making you have much more of the main course! Take care to cook the brinjals well till the skin chars and starts curling, ready to be peeled.
- Grease the brinjal with a little oil, make slits all over the surface at equal intervals and roast over an open flame for 10 to 12 minutes or till the brinjal turns soft and black, while turning occasionally. Keep aside to cool slightly.
- Cut the stem and discard it. Peel the skin and mash it using a potato masher. Keep aside.
- Heat the ghee in a broad non-stick pan and add the cumin seeds.
- When the seeds crackle, add the onions and sauté on a medium flame for 1 minute.
- Add the ginger paste, garlic paste and green chillies and sauté on a medium flame for a few seconds.
- Add the tomatoes, turmeric powder and coriander-cumin seeds powder, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 2 to 3 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Add the roasted and mashed brinjal, garam masala and salt, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 1 to 2 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Serve hot garnished with coriander.
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.