Baingan Bharta ( Swadisht Subzian Recipe)
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 426 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 186797 times
Toasted, peeled and mashed, the brinjals transform into an aromatic ingredient perfect to create this traditional Punjabi subzi. Cooked along with tangy tomatoes and pungent ingredients like onions, ginger and green chillies, Baingan Bharta is an accompaniment that goes equally well with rotis and rice, making you have much more of the main course! Take care to cook the brinjals well till the skin chars and starts curling, ready to be peeled.
- Grease the brinjal with a little oil, make slits all over the surface and cook over an open flame for 10 to 12 minutes or till the brinjal turns soft and black.
- Cool the brinjal, peel the skin and mash them. Keep aside.
- Heat the ghee in a broad non-stick pan and add the cumin seeds.
- When the seeds crackle, add the onions and sauté on a medium flame for 1 minute.
- Add the ginger, garlic and green chillies, mix well and cook on a medium flame for a few seconds.
- Add the tomatoes, turmeric powder, coriander-cumin seeds powder, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 2 to 3 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Add the mashed brinjal, garam masala and salt, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 1 to 2 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Serve hot garnished with coriander.
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.