Apple Pie, Eggless American Apple Pie
by Tarla Dalal
5/5 stars 100% LIKED IT
Added to 60 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 79645 times
A universal favourite, the world-over. There are some people who love the Apple Pie so much that they won’t hesitate to have it with their cereals for breakfast and again with every other meal, as a dessert. Well, here is how to make the traditional Apple Pie, from the crust up to the filling. You will love the creamy mushiness of apples, the tinge of cinnamon, the crunch of almonds, and every thing else about this recipe. Serve it warm, with a scoop of vanilla ice-cream.
- Combine the plain flour, baking powder and sugar in a deep bowl and toss well.
- Add the soft butter, mix well and knead into a semi-soft dough using enough water. Cover with a lid and keep aside.
- Combine the apples and lemon juice in a deep bowl and toss well.
- Combine the apple-lemon juice mixture, sugar, cinnamon powder, raisins and almonds in a deep non-stick pan, mix well and cover with a lid and cook on a medium flame for 8 minutes, while stirring occasionally and mashing it a little with the back of a spoon.
- Remove the lid, continue cooking on a medium flame for 2 minutes, while stirring occasionally. Keep aside.
- Divide the dough into 2/3 and 1/3 portion.
- Roll 2/3 portion of the dough into a 300 mm. (12”) diameter circle. Keep leveling the sides with your hands.
- Fold the dough circle from one end to the other so it is easy to lift. Place the folded dough circle in the hollow cavity of a 250 mm. (10”) diameter loose bottom aluminium tin, open it and press it well so as to cover the bottom and the sides of the tin evenly. Finally remove any excess dough that
- Put the apple filling in the centre of the dough layered tin and spread it evenly. Keep aside.
- Roll the remaining 1/3 portion of the dough into a 300 mm. (12”) diameter circle and fold this dough circle also from one end to other end like step 3.
- Place this folded dough portion over the apple filling, open it and again press the dough well at the bottom and the sides of the tin, so as to cover the apple filling completely.
- Cut the edges of the dough using a knife in a way that the dough covers the apple filling just enough and remove and discard the excess dough remaining there.
- Seal it well by pressing the dough along the circumference of the pie using your thumb followed by a fork.
- Then prick the top of the pie with help of a fork at regular intervals.
- Brush it with a little milk evenly and bake in a pre-heated oven at 180°c (360°f) for 35 to 40 minutes.
- Cool slightly and demould the apple pie.
- Cut it into 6 equal wedges and serve warm with vanilla ice-cream.
- The apples used in this recipe should be firm for best results.
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.