Apple Pie ( Pleasures Of Vegetarian Cooking )
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 127 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 23546 times
Apple pie is an old time favorite. Apples are cored and then lemon juice, sugar and water added and cooked until the water evaporates. The apple stew is placed between the short crust pastry and baked in a oven. Stewed apples with cinnamon in a short crust pastry taste great. Serve with vanilla ice cream.
- Mix the lemon juice and 1/2 teacup of water.
- Peel, core and slice the apples and add the lemon juice and water.
- Add the sugar and cook until pulpy and all the water evaporates.
- Add the cinnamon powder and mix well.
- Divide the pastry dough into two parts.
- Roll out one part one on a lightly floured board to fit a 175 mm. Or 200 mm. (7" or 8") diameter pie dish.
- Place it in an ungreased pie dish of this size. Prick with a fork all over,
- Bake in a hot oven at 450°f for about 6 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and fill up with the prepared apple stew.
- Roll out the remaining dough to fit the top of the pie. Put it over the pie and seal the edges by pressing with a fork.
- Make a few slits on the top with a sharp knife for the steam to escape.
- Brush with a little milk or beaten egg for the glaze.
- Bake in a hot oven at 450 f. For 10 to 15 minutes.
- Cool the pie and cut into slices.
- Serve with vanilla ice-cream or fresh cream.
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.