Ambat Dal ( Know Your Green Leafy Vegetables )
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 23 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 13772 times
This recipe gets its “ambat” flavour, thanks to the tamarind. You can add jaggery too to get a sweet-tangy flavour. Serve with steamed rice or as an accompaniment to roti.
- Heat the oil in a small pan, add the coriander seeds and red chillies and sauté on a medium flame for 30 seconds, while stirring continuously. Keep aside.
- When cool, add the coconut and tamarind, mix well and blend in a mixer to make a smooth paste, using enough water. Keep aside.
- Combine the moong dal and turmeric powder with 1 cup of water and pressure cooker for 2 whistles.
- Allow the steam to escape before opening the lid. Keep aside.
- Combine the malabar spinach, cooked dal and 1½ cups water in a kadhai and cook over a medium flame till the bhaji gets cooked.
- Add the prepared paste and salt and cook for 5 more minutes. Keep aside.
- Heat the oil in a small pan, add the onions and sauté till the onions turn translucent.
- Pour this tempering over the cooked dal. Serve hot
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.