Achari Chana Pulao
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 142 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 102475 times
Most of us have often eaten achaaris gravy. But here's an interesting dish that I came across at dhaba while I was in Punjab. The owner was more than happy to share the secret to his recipe. Achaaris spices such as saunf, rai, methi, kalongi and elaichi are combined with some fine long grained rice some kabuli chana to form a highly flavourful and fragrant pulao. The Punjabi garam masala forms an important part as it lends great taste to the dish. The mango pickle paste used in the pulao is what I believe was the secret ingredient behind the scrumptious preparation. So go ahead serve your family some of this irresistible pulao.
- Blend the mango pickle in a mixer to a coarse paste. Keep aside.
- Clean, wash and soak the rice for 10 minutes. Drain and keep aside.
- Put 2½ cups of water to boil.
- Heat the ghee in a pressure cooker, add the fennel seeds, mustard seeds, fenugreek seeds, onion seeds, big cardamoms, cumin seeds and asafoetida.
- When the seeds crackle, add the onions and sauté till they turn translucent.
- Add the ginger-garlic paste, kabuli chana, turmeric powder, chilli powder, Punjabi garam masala, salt and the prepared pickle paste and sauté for 2 minutes.
- Add the rice and sauté for 2 more minutes.
- Add the hot water and pressure cook for 2 whistles.
- Allow the steam to escape before opening the lid.
- Separate each grain of rice lightly with a fork.
- Serve hot.
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.