Aam Aur Chane ka Achaar ( Rajasthani)
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 88 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 53302 times
Quick-fixes are there for every dish, from soups to pickles. However, the slow and steady method, although laborious, is often the tastiest. You will realise this truth when, after waiting for seven days, you first relish a spoonful of this delicious Aam aur Chane ka Achaar. A typical Rajasthani pickle of raw mangoes and white chick peas perked up with a large assortment of spices and preserved with mustard oil, this pickle has a wonderful mix of flavours ranging from sour to spicy. Remember to sterilize the jars before storing the pickle, so it will keep well for much longer.
- Combine the raw mango, turmeric powder and salt in a deep bowl, mix well and keep aside for 30 minutes.
- Squeeze out all the water from the raw mango in a bowl and keep aside. Keep the raw mango water and grated raw mango separately.
- Refrigerate the grated raw mango overnight.
- Combine the fenugreek seeds, kabuli chana and raw mango water into a deep bowl, mix well and cover and keep aside overnight.
- Combine the fenugreek seed powder, fennel seeds, asafoetida, nigella seeds, kashmiri red chillies, chilli powder along the grated raw mango and kabuli chana-fenugreek seeds mixture into a deep bowl, mix well and keep aside.
- Heat the mustard oil in a deep non-stick kadhai on a medium flame for 3 to 4 minutes or till red hot.
- Remove from the flame and allow it to cool.
- Once cooled, add the oil to the prepared mixture and mix well.
- Bottle the pickle in a sterilized glass jar and keep aside for 6 to 7 days. After 7 days, it is ready to eat.
Nutrient values per tbsp
|Vitamin A||102.1 mcg|
|Vitamin B1||0 mg|
|Vitamin B2||0 mg|
|Vitamin B3||0.1 mg|
|Vitamin C||2 mg|
|Folic Acid||6.4 mcg|
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.